18 October 2008

 

What has been going on since August?

Hmmm, been a bit slack with my blog but I see to be spending time on Facebook but that is a crap excuse.

What have I been up to between then and now, not much but some bits and bobs.

I started a new job at the beginning of August in the Social Services department for Barnet, not a bad job and the place isn't bad, a little soulless for my liking but beggars and choosers!

Last weekend I went up to Peterborough for the Great Eastern Run as there were going to be quite a few handcyclist making the trek there from all over the UK, so I couldn't wimp out. The course was nice and flat (relatively) and so a good time was in order. I had a minor mechanical issue 5 mins before the start, it became apparent that 4 of the 5 bolts holding on the large chain ring went AWOL so I was limited to the middle chain ring, I just had to spin the crank faster, simple right!

The start was a frenzy as the faster riders got out front. I tagged onto the back of Andy Clanahan and then we joined Marc Poolman and Dave Sandles for the 4 of use to work as a group for a while. In the meantime Rob Wickham had disappeared up the road and didn't want any wheel suckers to tow around, what a spoil sport! Mean while Dave Sandles took a tumble on a corner but I had started to loose contact with the 3 others for a bit, they slowed down and I tried to tag on but without success, back on my own again. Dave got himself up and in the race again and caught up with me, I tagged on and we worked our way back towards Andy. I then swapped wheels to Andy as Dave was on a mission to catch Marc and battle it out but for me, Andy was a strong rider that I could just about stay with, my heart rate was redlining at 199bpm for most of the time and the average overall was 191bpm. Andy and I were working well and I managed to stay with him until the 12 mile marker, just as I was thinking (that stuff kills me) of the finish and maybe a sprint, Andy put in a kick and I couldn't stay with him. So I had to bring it in over the last mile by myself for a 5th place in 52 mins. Not bad as I was thinking I would be aiming for a 1 hour ride time.

The overall results

And some pictures from Flickr and some one Facebook from John Osbourne (there maybe some taken from Flickr)



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?